hatch London 2018 Terms & Conditions
SheCanCode Ltd. (London) ("SCC") is the organiser of hatch London 2018 (“the Organisers”). Any reference to the Organisers in these Terms & Conditions (“Terms”) refers to SCC.
The Organisers are hosting a competition (“the Competition”) regarding the development of apps or ideas to solve problems relating to the UN Sustainable Development Goals (the “Goals”). These Terms apply in relation to the Competition.
NOTE TO PARTICIPANTS
PARTICIPATION IN THE COMPETITION IS VOID IF THE PARTICIPANT IS PROHIBITED FROM ENTERING BY REASON OF LAW OR BY THESE TERMS . BY PARTICIPATING, YOU AGREE TO COMPLY WITH THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS AND ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU ARE ENTERING THE COMPETITION OF YOUR OWN VOLITION AND AT YOUR OWN RISK WITHOUT RELIANCE ON ANY REPRESENTATIONS MADE BY THE ORGANISERS.
The Competition begins on 24 November 2018 and ends on 25 November 2018.
The Competition is open to individuals (i) who are residents in the UK and at least eighteen years old (unless otherwise provided for expressly by the Organisers), and (ii) who are invited by the Organisers to participate in the Competition (the “Participant”). The Competition is not open to employees of the Organisers or members of employees immediate families or households. Invitation by the Organisers is subject to the full and unconditional acceptance of these Terms, and participation in the Competition constitutes the Participant’s full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of and continued compliance with the Terms. No entry fee will be charged. The term “you” refers to the Participant . Determination of eligibility and compliance is at the sole discretion of the Organisers and the Organisers may require you to provide proof that you are eligible to enter the Competition. The Organisers reserve the right at their discretion to disqualify any entry into the Competition (“Entry”) if the Entry or a Participant or a Participant’s team does not comply with these Terms or if your conduct or a Participant’s team’s conduct is contrary to the spirit of the Competition.
You have been allocated into a team, and allocated to mentors. Switching teams or participation in multiple teams is not allowed, unless the Organisers have given you express permission to do so.
The Organisers are not responsible for, and will not assist in resolving, any disputes between Participants. To participate, you must attend at the Ministry of Justice, 102 Petty France, Westminster, London SW1H 9AJ on 8am to 8pm on 24 November 2018, and 8am to 6pm on 25 November 2018.
You must make your own travel and accommodation arrangements and cover all associated costs and expenses. In no event, in particular in case of disqualification or cancellation of the Competition, will the Organisers reimburse any such costs. You, as a Participant, will be required to create and present to the judges, proof of concept.
In 24 hours, you are expected to build a solution to address the problems within the scope the Organisers have assigned to you. Each team may only submit one entry. Incomplete or non-compliant entries may be disqualified, at the discretion of the Organisers. Each Participant must supply his/her own laptop and all other materials to participate.
The Organisers may, at their sole discretion, establish further rules regarding the procedure of the Competition which will be published onto http://www.hatchlondon.io/. The Participant agrees to comply with these rules. Non-compliance with the aforementioned rules, and/or these Terms, may lead to a disqualification of the Participant or the team which the Participant has been assigned to by the Organisers.
Each Entry must be original, of the Participant’s or Participant’s teams own creation and newly written during the Competition and must not have been entered in any other competition or programme similar to the Competition. “Newly written” means that Participants cannot in any way plagiarise or copy any material or any software code that already exists, and submit it as part of an Entry but must create it during the Competition. Entries may be subject to a due diligence review at any time for eligibility and compliance with these Terms.
Each Participant hereby agrees to the condition that the Entry is and will be the Participant’s or the Participant’s team’s own original work and does not and will not infringe the intellectual property or proprietary rights of the Organisers, sponsors of the Competition or any third party, including, without limitation, any third party patents, copyrights or trademarks. Any breach of this condition will result in a disqualification of the Participant, and the team to which the Participant is allocated to, from the Competition.
The Participant hereby agrees not to instigate, support, maintain or authorise any demand, action, claim or lawsuit against the Organisers or any other person, on the grounds that any use of a Participant’s Entry, infringes any of Participant’s rights as creator of the Entry, including, without limitation, trademark rights, copyrights and moral rights or “droit moral.”
Scoring of Entries
Subject to the sole discretion of the Organisers, Entries are not eligible to win unless and until the Participants creating that Entry has (i) created a team Github repository, to which each Participant within the team contributes, and (ii) forked this repository to the hatch London repository (information on which will be made available to the Participants by the Organisers). The Organisers have designated a panel of individuals who will be responsible for judging Entries. The decisions of the judges will be final and will not be subject to any review. No correspondence will be entered into with any Participants. In the event of a tie, the judges will deliberate to determine the winner and their decision will be final and not subject to review. Each Participant or at least one representative of a team must be available during the judging period to demonstrate the Participant’s or team’s Entry and each Participant or team may also be asked to demonstrate their Entry to all of the Participants and the judges. Failure to be available during the judging period will lead to disqualification of the Participant or team. Entries will be judged according to the following criteria (subject to change at the sole discretion of the Organisers):
Business Model (20%)
Right to Use Entries
The Organisers do not claim any ownership rights to your Entry. The Organisers do, however, require such rights from you in the Entry in order to hold the Competition and for publicity purposes, as described below.
By submitting your Entry, you:
· are granting us and the sponsors of the Competition an irrevocable, royalty-free, fully paid up, perpetual, worldwide right and exclusive license to: (i) use, display, publish, transmit, copy, edit, alter, share, re-format and sub-licence your Entry and all its content (including any accompanying and related materials) in connection with the Competition and/or the Goals; and (ii) feature your Entry and all content and your participation in connection with the publication, marketing, or promotion of the Competition and/or the Goals in all media (now known or later developed);
· understand that we cannot control the incoming information you will disclose to our representatives, sponsors and or/employees in the course of entering, or what our representatives and/or employees will remember about your Entry. You also understand that we will not restrict work assignments of representatives and/or employees who have had access to your Entry. By entering this Competition, you agree that the use of information in your Entry in our representatives’, agents’, sub-contractors’, judges’ and/or employees’ unaided memories in the development or deployment of our products or services does not create liability for us under this agreement or copyright or trade secret law;
· acknowledge and agree that a third party (including but not limited to another participant) may produce similar ideas or concepts during the Competition. You also acknowledge and agree that the Organisers, as an organisation with a strong reputation for innovation, may be working on ideas similar to your Entry, whether now or in the future. You agree not to make any claims or demands of any nature against the Organisers and its employees, agents or sub-contractors in relation to or in connection with your participation or contribution in the Competition;
· understand that you will not receive any compensation or credit for use of your Entry, other than as described in these Terms;
· for the avoidance of doubt, all intellectual property rights in the Entry shall remain vested in the Participant(s) who created them or, in the case of intellectual property rights owned by any third party or parties, such third party or parties. The Organisers accept no liability for any infringement of any intellectual property rights relating to your Entry or any disagreement among Participants regarding ownership of any intellectual property rights contained in any entry including, without limitation, the winning entry or for any inaccurate or incorrect information supplied or relied upon by any entrant during the Competition;
· please note that following the end of this Competition your Entry may be posted on websites selected by us or the sponsors (including but not limited to the Organisers’ websites) for viewing by visitors to that website, or otherwise publicly displayed in any way including but not limited to by social media or other websites. We are not responsible for any unauthorised use of your Entry by visitors to this website or any third party. While we reserve these rights, we are not obligated to use your Entry for any purpose, even if it has been selected as a winning entry;
· if you do not want to grant us these rights to your Entry, please do not enter this Competition.
The Organisers will announce what the prizes are during the Competition and reserve the right to alter or withdraw any prizes at any time.
Publicity and Data Protection
By participating in the Competition , the Participant consents, without additional compensation, to the use of his/her name, photo and/or likeness, biographical information, Entry and statements attributed to the Participant for advertising and promotional purposes, including but without limitation, inclusion in the Organisers and hatch London’s photos, videos, newsletters, the Organisers and hatch London’s websites at https://shecancode.io/, http://www.ucle.co/ and https://www.hatchlondon.io/, and any of the Organisers’ and hatch London’s social media accounts.
If you are the winner of the Competition, you agree that the Organisers may use your name, image and town or county of residence to announce the winner of this Competition and for any other reasonable and related promotional purposes.
You further agree to participate in any reasonable publicity required by the Organisers.
By entering the Competition, you agree that any personal information provided by you with the Competition Entry may be held and used by the Organiser or its agents and suppliers and the Competition sponsors in connection with the Competition.
Please tick here if you would like us to contact you by electronic means (email or SMS) with information about goods and services that we feel may be of interest to you.
Please tick here if you would like us to contact you by telephone or post with information about goods and services that we feel may be of interest to you.
Please tick here if you are happy for us to disclose your personal data to selected third parties so that they can provide you with information about their goods or services.
To the extent allowed by law, you agree to release, indemnify, defend and hold harmless the Organisers and each company affiliated with the Organisers , from any and all direct or indirect claims, damages, costs, expenses or losses to person or property and/or liabilities of any nature whether foreseeable or not (compensatory, direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, special or otherwise including loss of use, data, business or profits)that in any way arise from your participation in the Competition or acceptance or use of a prize or parts thereof (“Losses”), including without limitation any Losses caused by or in arising in connection with:
(i) any events beyond the Organisers’ control that may cause the Competition to be disrupted, corrupted, or deviate from any plans that the Organisers may have publicised or shared with you;
(ii) any claim that your or your team’s Entry infringes any third party intellectual property or proprietary rights;
(iii) any disputes among Participants;
(iv) the prize, or acceptance, possession, or use of the prize, or from participation in the Competition ;
(v) any printing or typographical errors in any materials associated with the Competition;
(vi) any technical errors that may impair your ability to participate in the Hackathon; or
(vii) errors in the administration of the Competition .
To the extent allowed by law, the Organisers, sponsors of the Competition and or their agents will not be responsible or liable for any direct, special, incidental, exemplary, punitive or consequential damages (including loss of use, data, business or profits) arising out of or in connection with your participation in the Competition, whether such liability arises from any claim based upon contract, warranty, tort (including negligence), strict liability or otherwise, and whether or not that loss is foreseeable or the Organisers has been advised of the possibility of such loss or damage. Your statutory rights are not affected. The Organisers recommend that you insure all property over which you have property, contractual or equitable rights, which you intend to bring to the Hackathon. The Organisers does not accept any liability for your failure to do so.
The Competition is offered by the Organisers, who are not responsible for (i) late, lost, damaged, incomplete, or misdirected Entries, responses, or other correspondence, whether by email or postal mail or otherwise; (ii) theft, destruction, unauthorised access to or alterations of Entries; or (iii) phone, electrical, network, computer, hardware, software program or transmission malfunctions, failures or difficulties. The Organisers reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to cancel, modify or suspend the Competition in whole or in part, in the event of fraud, technical or other difficulties or if the integrity of the Competition is compromised or for any other reason required in the Organisers’ sole discretion, without liability to the Participants. The Organisers reserve the right to disqualify at any point any Participant, as determined by the Organisers, in their sole discretion.
These Terms are governed by the law of England and Wales, without reference to rules governing choice of laws. Any action, suit or case arising out of, or in connection with, this Competition or the Terms must be brought in the courts of England and Wales. The Organisers’ failure to enforce any term of these Terms shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
Nothing herein shall constitute an employment, joint venture, or partnership relationship between the Participant and of the Organisers. Participants will not receive any compensation from the Organisers in connection with any Entries.
If you have any questions about the Competition or these Terms, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org